Monday, April 9, 2012

Assignment #13- Analyzing and Writing Arguments


For your third revised essay you analyzed an argument, and now, for your fourth essay, you are writing an argument of your own. For this blog post, you need to think critically about what you learned by analyzing another writer's argument that can be applied to your own argument.  I want you to identify at least three specific things you learned from analyzing an argument that you will use when writing your own argument. Briefly describe what specifically from the text led to your observation and how specifically you will use that information when writing your own argument. For example:
  • I analyzed "Essay X." In that essay, the writer used an informal tone in an attempt to build a connection to the reader. However, that tone ultimately weakened her argument by making her seem less authoritative. This taught me how my choice of tone can affect how trustworthy I appear to readers, and I will be conscious of choosing an appropriate tone for my subject matter.
The purpose of this blog post is to get you to continue to think critically about effective arguments and also to help you draw connections between your assignments. In addition, it may be helpful to you to also read your peers' blogs to gain additional insight into what makes an argument effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment